Thursday, July 30, 2009

An Answer to Prayer

I'm so excited right now! I've been praying to God these past few weeks/months for Him to weigh my heart down with a particular passage of scripture. I feel that God is moving in my heart bringing out different passions and desires and I was looking for an encouraging word of scripture that could help affirm what I was feeling. Well, lately part of my reading time has consisted of me hopping around the Psalms reading old favorites and other much less familiar ones. And each time I would do this I would think about Psalm 119, but wouldn't want to start it as it's so long and whenever people hear its name they just groan. But today, I took the plunge and began to go through it... and it's just what I'd been praying for. If only I'd known that voice in the back of my head to read "the long one" had been God's gentle nudging.

Here is the part that really hit home the most from the 50 verses or so that I've tackled so far,

"How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes!
With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.
Deal bountifully with your servant,
that I may live and keep your word.
Open my eyes, that I may behold
wondrous things out of your law.
I am a sojourner on the earth;
hide not your commandments from me!"
Psalm 119: 9-19 (ESV)

The first two lines, verse 9, really jumped out and from there the passage continued to cry out to me. I felt like my heart and desires of what it is to be a person of God are right there. This is my prayer to God of who I want to be, as well as God speaking right back to me. These are my desires, or the desires I yearn for God to burden heavily on my heart. One sin I continuously have in my heart is that of underestimating God. This passage just shows how he can blow away your desires with something way better - better than what we flawed people could ever imagine. I love every time God does this. I only really got to verse 41, so I'll post more later when I've gotten farther in. And probably more on this passage, but sleeps is awaiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment